Skip to main navigation.

Holiday Safety



  • Choose flame-resistant or flame-retardant holiday decorations.

  • Keep lit candles away from decorations.

  • Use lights that have an independent testing laboratory label. Some are only for indoor or outdoor use – not both.

  • Replace any light strings with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Connect no more than three strands of mini light sets and a maximum of 50 bulbs for screw-in bulbs. Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged.



  • Keep an eye on the range. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of home fires in the U.S.

  • Keep matches and lighters out of sight and reach of children (preferably in a locked cabinet).



  • Before lighting a fire, remove all greens, boughs, papers and other decorations from fireplace area and check to see that the flue is open.

  • Never burn wrapping paper in the fireplace. It can start flash fires.

  • Place a screen around your fireplace to prevent sparks from igniting anything nearby.



  • Around the Fourth of July holiday, 240 people on average go to the emergency room each day with fireworks related injuries. Keep your children safe and do not allow them to play with fireworks.

  • Even so called "harmless" fireworks can pose injuries. Sparklers can burn at 2,000 degrees and often cause more injuries than other larger fireworks.

  • If fireworks do not ignite, never try to re-light them.


Sources: National Fire Protection Association, U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo